Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What are advantages of buying a 1989 Ford Probe?

I want to buy an '89 Probe but people have been telling me that they have lots of problems and wanted to know if that was true?|||It depends on the engine and transmission. It was also the first year for the car so it did have some issues. Parts are becoming more scarce. Only advantage, looked cute?|||They are junk. There are no advantages to buying a Probe, unless sitting on the side of the road watching cars go by is an advantage. I bought a 1988 Mazda MX-6 new (same engine and chassis, both built in Michigan in the same plant) and had nothing but problems with it. However, the MX-6s that were made in Japan had far fewer problems. No Probes were made in Japan.|||There are very few advantages, except for gas mileage and looks, perhaps. Parts are insanely expensive for that car, and they always break. $600 for a distributor, $1200 for an a/c compressor...just ludicrous. Buy something else....|||I had a `93 and I loved it til it reached 60K miles. After that it cost too much to keep any longer.|||they are fule efficient and that's about it. my car is 3 years newer and I'M having trouble finding parts. That thing breaks down, you're in trouble. '89 was also the first year for the car, so it was basically a prototype with a few bugs to work out.|||I had a 1989 from the day it rolled off the assembly line until May 2002. It was the perfect car, always reliable, only died once when the alternator stopped generating and it was 10 at that point anyway. I had the digital dash and an auto trans. The body on mine never rusted, and the headlamps still moved. But do not count on being able to do repairs yourself. The car is not very maintenance friendly, and the engine compartment is very tightly packed. You may have to recruit help to even change the oil, as I did. Also, MAKE SURE THE HEADLIGHTS go up and down. Sometimes they stick, and its not good if they stick down!

No comments:

Post a Comment